Herniated discs can be a painful and debilitating condition, but there are several non-surgical options available for those seeking relief. Here are some of the most common and effective treatments:
1. Chiropractic Care – A Chiropractor can use manual manipulation and adjustments to help realign the spine and reduce pressure on the affected disc.
2. Physical Therapy – This involves working with a physical therapist to strengthen the muscles that support the spine and improve posture. This can help reduce the pressure on the affected disc and relieve pain.
3. Acupuncture – This ancient form of Chinese medicine involves the insertion of fine needles into specific points on the body to relive pain and promote healing.
4. Pain Management Medications – Over the counter pain relievers, such as ibuprofen and acetaminophen, can help reduce inflammation and relieve pain. For more severe pain, your doctor may prescribe stronger pain medications.
5. Epidural Injections – A steroid medication can be injected directly into the area around the affected disc to reduce inflammation and relieve pain..
6. Hot and cold therapy – Alternating between hot and cold packs can help reduce inflammation and relieve pain.
It’s important to keep in mind that while non-surgical options can be effective, they may not work for everyone and in some cases, surgery may be necessary. It’s always best to consult with a doctor to determine the best course of treatment for you.